Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Junk Mail

I got an email one time about how to deal with junk mail. It talked about how, because of the internet, the U.S. Postal Service is losing money. I don't know for sure if that's true, but judging how many times postage has gone up in the last few years, I would guess that it is. Anyway, it said to help the post office out and annoy the people who annoy you with junk mail, just send the postage paid envelope back to them.

I know someone who does this and puts random things in the envelope like dryer lint. While that's kinda funny imagining someone opening an envelope with dryer lint in it... I like to be courteous and issue a reply. I always take the credit card application enclosed, tear it off and write with a large Sharpie, "NO, THANK YOU!" on the application. They always ask me to respond by a certain date, so I try to honor that. :P

It always makes me laugh anyway... I feel good about giving the post office some revenue and sending so many annoying junk mail things back to the sender with my reply! I did this yesterday... and I sent out 10 NO THANK YOU replies. I felt good about that.




I don't know if this helps the post office or not... but it sure entertains me!

7 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

That's awesome! I LOVE it! Regardless of the USPS, that is fantastic!

Kristin said...

That really is awesome! Maybe I'll pick up the habit... for the post office, of course!

Michelvis said...

hi Clancy

Thanks for the post...of course I remember you! Not to mention that Britt is always t alking about you. I heard you got in a fight with a mascara wand...and lost. That is awful. I hope you are feeling better.

P.S. I have seen Frou Frou live! She was pretty good!

Britta said...

Oh man! I am going to speak on behalf of the under dog in this story. When I was just a data entry girl for a .com years ago I got the mail each day and it was truly depressing how much junk mail we got back. Do two wrongs make a right?! I guess at least you're writing 'no thanks' and have good intentions!

Mags said...

Is that you with the cute short hair?!?!

Anderson Family said...

You crack me up. I should do that but feel I never have tome to do anything with it but rip it up and trow it out.

Clancy in Idaho said...

Mags... yes that is me! :)